Friday 11 October 2013

Spicy BBQ Sauce



I got the inspiration for this recipe from one of my favourite American Chefs Ina Garten. I have adapted it to be as Slimming World friendly as possible.
As she put it it is a fusion of world wide BBQ sauces, a bit of Indian, Chinese and American, with a touch of Britain in it too!!

The whole pan is 7 syns on extra easy, so it's up to you how much you eat.......




Ingredients

3 shallots sliced 
2 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 tub passata
¼ cup soy sauce
2 tbsp hoisin sauce (4 syns)
1 tbsp honey (3 syns)
3 tbsp worcester sauce
2 tbsp tomato puree
2 tsp english mustard powder
¼ cup cider vinegar
2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp chilli flakes
1 tsp hot chilli powder (more if you want more spice)


Method

In a large pan sprayed with frylight, fry the shallots till golden and soft, then add the garlic and fry for 1 minute, put into a blender with all the other ingredients and blitz till smooth.
Return the sauce to the pan and bring to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes until it has darkened and thickened. Season to taste.
Then serve with whatever you like....
Goes great on Hunters Chicken, as a dip for chips, with a juicy steak or even pulled pork..



6 comments:

  1. mm will give this a go x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I made the sauce today. Personally I'd change a few things - I'd use less cumin powder as I thought it was a little bit curryish. I also added a little smoked paprika for a smokey taste. I wasn't sure how much was in a " tub " of passata so I used a 500g carton. ( got in Duness ) Also if anyone else is making it and like me you use metric 1/4 cup is 2 oz . Overall great recipe and I'll he storing the rest of my sauce in the fridge to use as a dipping sauce as I let it reduce to almost half. I served mine with homemade beef burgers , rice and veg :-) thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback it's always good to know what people think of a recipe.
      My BBQ sauce had a smoky taste to it as i used adobe chilli powder, i didn't mention that as i got it in America. The sauce is meant to be a fusion of tastes hence the cumin, i personally couldn't taste the cumin, but i guess it is personal preference. I also used a 500g carton, sorry for the vagueness. I also forgot to mention it is good to freeze too.

      Delete
  3. Tried this tonight - I made so much of it, when it was originally on the stove it was so so spicy! (Just used the 1tsp on chilli powder & flakes too). Loved it though, and there's loads left over. I had mine with sweet potato fries which are amazeballs too :) Thanks for the great recipe!

    Joni xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be good to freeze, then you have it on hand for whenever you fancy a chips and dip snack. Chilli flakes can add quite a kick lol x

      Delete